[arch-general] Move from libjpeg-turbo to mozjpeg

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Sat Mar 8 01:52:03 EST 2014

N30N wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Mozilla have made a fork of the libjpeg-turbo package called mozjpeg,
> which features improved encoding:
> https://blog.mozilla.org/research/2014/03/05/introducing-the-mozjpeg-project/
>
> I'd like to propose making the switch. The "library configuration
> defaults are the same as for libjpeg-turbo, in order to make transitions
> as painless as possible". A PKGBUILD can be found on the AUR:
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mozjpeg/
>

> Thanks for your consideration,
> N30N.

	-1.

	mozjpeg offers slightly improved compression at the cost of up to
x10 increase in compression time (*). It may be something to
consider later if they manage to improve the speed although they
expect that it will always remain slower than libjpeg-turbo.

		Jerome

(*) https://github.com/mozilla/mozjpeg/issues/13
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr