[arch-general] tap device

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 08:27:47 EDT 2014

On Tuesday 11 Mar 2014 13:06:23 arnaud gaboury wrote:
> > systemd-networkd is still really new. If you're having difficulty with it,
> > I recommend simply using netctl, which is a bit more mature.
>
> I do for part of the setup on host. I am trying to do zero network
> config on container, thus the use of networkd. But I can use netctl
> inside the container, you are right
> As far the rest, I'm afraid I don't know. Before any
>
> > manual configuration, did you see any network interfaces in the container?
> > I'm losing track of what you've created and what systemd creates for you
> > when you spawn the container. (I think you're using systemd-nspawn,
> > right?)
>
> yes

I'm not sure what you mean by zero network config. Do you mean you want to set up the
tap interface entirely on the host, along with a static IP, and then the container simply
attaches to that tap device when it boots? I guess that's possible.

Can I ask what you're trying to achieve in terms of this network setup? Are you just after
straight-forward internet connectivity, or are you planning to filter packets going in and
out of the container? For the simple usecase, I think you can simply use the normal host
interface from inside the container, though you can't modify it.

Paul