[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Cyclic dependencies between systemd and util-linux

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Wed Mar 12 12:43:46 EDT 2014

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 17:21:20 +0100
Tobias Powalowski <tobias.powalowski at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 12.03.2014 06:32, schrieb Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi:
> > On 02/24/2014 03:56 PM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> >> Right now, we have a problem with cyclic dependencies in core: systemd
> >> requires libblkid and libuuid (systemd-udevd) and util-linux requires
> >> libudev (findmnt, and soon uuidd [1]).
> >>
> >> I don't like this situation and currently it is revoled by adding
> >> systemd as optdepend to util-linux. This has the side effect that in a
> >> chroot with only certain packages installed, one has to explicitly
> >> install systemd to get findmnt working. Since I've run into this
> >> situation and cyclic deps are bad, I propose the following:
> >>
> >> Split both util-linux and systemd into libutil-linux/util-linux and
> >> libsystemd/systemd. Then we could have both util-linux and systemd
> >> depend on both libsystemd and libutil-linux.
> >>
> >> [1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/util-linux-ng/msg08699.html
> >>
> > We also have another set when installing {base} group:
> >
> > warning: util-linux will be installed before its coreutils dependency
> > warning: util-linux will be installed before its pam dependency
> > warning: shadow will be installed before its pam dependency
> >

> New depends introduce error during base installation,
> libutil-linux needs coreutils first else no install is found.

Sorry for cross-list posting...

Actually, this is an old error which I saw on all new installs for quite some
time. For example:
-----
[2014-02-14 19:46] [PACMAN] installed shadow (4.1.5.1-7)
[2014-02-14 19:46] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] /tmp/alpm_p51CHp/.INSTALL: line 6:
install: command not found
[2014-02-14 19:46] [PACMAN] installed util-linux (2.24.1-1)
-----

Cheers,
L.

--
Leonid Isaev
GPG key fingerprint: C0DF 20D0 C075 C3F1 E1BE  775A A7AE F6CB 164B 5A6D