[arch-general] tap device

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 13:02:28 EDT 2014

On Wednesday 12 Mar 2014 17:32:27 arnaud gaboury wrote:
> It was UP before I brought vb down. So you have your answer : yes.

OK, so in that case, I'd recommend not doing anything special on the host to bring the vb-
dahlia interface up. It's behaving just like a normal interface would on a real system: the
interface should be brought up and configured as normal in the container; the host doesn't
need to do anything special.

So you should have this situation:

The host has configuration that creates a bridge br0, containing only the physical interface
enp7s0. The bridge should be given the IP address that you want the host to have.

When the container is started, using --network-bridge=br0, the host automatically creates
the vb-dahlia interface and adds it to the br0 bridge. No additional configuration is
necessary on the host.

The container should configure its network exactly as for a normal, non-virtualised system.
It can use DHCP if necessary, in which case it will receive an IP on the same network as
the host. Conceptually, they are connected to the same network via a hub/switch.

Paul