[arch-general] Pulseaudio 5.1 Setup echoes Front Speakers to Rear speakers

Kyle Terrien kyleterrien at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 01:21:53 EDT 2014

On 03/16/2014 09:59 PM, Mark Lee wrote:
> Salutations,
>
> I recently hooked up a 5.1 surround sound receiver to my Haswell setup
> via HDMI. I used the sound manager in gnome to set the system to output
> 5.1 surround sound. However, while testing each individual speaker using
> the gnome sound settings, I found that front speakers were echoing
> content to rear speakers (with a small delay). I also noticed that if I
> set the fade to rear, I would lose all front speaker output. Moving the
> fade to the front reproduced the echo  again. This is noticeable in any
> 5.1 audio I play as well. Has anyone experienced this and found a solution?
>
> Regards,
> Mark

Are you using PulseAudio? If so, try looking at the sound settings with
pavucontrol, the official PulseAudio configuration utility (in the
package extra/pavucontrol).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly, the Gnome sound
manager and pavucontrol are different programs. In my experience, I have
had the best luck using pavucontrol to configure sound.

--Kyle