[arch-general] tap device

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 06:01:07 EDT 2014

On Monday 17 Mar 2014 09:55:11 arnaud gaboury wrote:
> > I guess someone will have to ask about it, either in the mailing list or
> > irc, I haven't done so before because systemd-{nspawn,networkd} have
> > lots of new functionality and I'm not sure I understand them all.
>
> After I related this issue (interfaces not being UP) on the
> systemd-devel mailing list, Tom Gundersen did a commit yesterday nite
> to change this behavior. So if you run systemd-git, just upgrade and
> interfaces will now be UP, and you will be able to get rid of your
> hack.

I don't get this: it seems normal to me that the interface would be down until it's
configured by the container, pretty much like on a normal machine. The only situation
in which you can expect an interface to be up already is in a network-booting situation,
in which the initramfs configures the interface. In a virtualised situation, this is like the
host configuring the container's interface for it.

Anyway, no big deal either way for me.

Paul