[arch-general] When change tty1 the locale change

Mark Lee mark at markelee.com
Tue Mar 18 20:53:24 EDT 2014

On 03/18/2014 08:49 PM, Maykel Franco wrote:

>> change locale or change keyboard layout?
>>
>>> VC Keymap: n/a

>>> language
> change

> Salutations,
>
> Did you set your language in /etc/locale.conf?
>
> Regards,
> mark

>>> root at arch-maykel /home/maykel/backup/ # localectl
>>>    System Locale: LANG=es_ES.utf8
>>>        VC Keymap: n/a
>>>       X11 Layout: n/a
>>>

>>> Check it:
>>>
>>> Ctrl + alt + f1 , for example:
>>>
>>> And locale:
>>>
>>> root at arch-maykel /home/maykel/backup/ # locale
>>> LANG=es_ES.UTF-8
>>> LC_CTYPE="es_ES.UTF-8"
>>> LC_NUMERIC="es_ES.UTF-8"
>>> LC_TIME="es_ES.UTF-8"
>>> LC_COLLATE="es_ES.UTF-8"
>>> LC_MONETARY="es_ES.UTF-8"
>>> LC_MESSAGES="es_ES.UTF-8"
>>> LC_PAPER="es_ES.UTF-8"
>>> LC_NAME="es_ES.UTF-8"
>>> LC_ADDRESS="es_ES.UTF-8"
>>> LC_TELEPHONE="es_ES.UTF-8"
>>> LC_MEASUREMENT="es_ES.UTF-8"
>>> LC_IDENTIFICATION="es_ES.UTF-8"
>>> LC_ALL=
>>>

>>> If exec same command in tty1 with cntrl + at + f1 the result is the same.
>>>
>>> In tty2, tty3...the result is the same. The language locale change to
>>> english...I don't now why??
>>>
>>> Thanks again.
>>>

> The keyboard layout is "es" , spanish, the option is configured in
> systemsettings to kde. In preferences keyboard. In the X , tty7, the
> language is OK, spanish but I change the tty, without X, the language
> change to english...
>
> I dont understand why...
>
> Thanks for all...

Salutations,

I just tested changing "/etc/locale.conf" to use 'LANG="es_ES.UTF-8"'
and got a gnome message to change folders to Spanish names. However,
when switching tty, I found that the names were in English (but I didn't
translate my folder names to Spanish). How do you know that the tty is
in English?
Can you try the output of something like: $ which stuff
?

Regards,
Mark