[arch-general] browser and tty

arnaud gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 13:18:42 EDT 2014

Dear list,

I decided to get rid of my mate DE and go i3. Before I am testing my
settings on tty2 (Ctrl+Alt+F2) with a modify .xinitrc (exec i3).

I have a weird behavior as regarding my web browser, could it be
chromium or firefox.

On my i3 config. I have this line:

assign [instance="^chromium$"] → 1

Unfortunately, when I log in on tty2, there is no chromium being
started. When I am back on tty1 (mate session), I find chromium being
opened.
Then, on tty2, if I start manually firefox, I can't as I am told
"firefox is already running". Indeed it is but on tty1.

It seems like web browsers are "attached" to my tty1.

Is there any reason for this behavior? Shall I modify anything to
start any web browser on tty2 ?

Thank you for help.