[arch-general] browser and tty

Jakub Klinkovský j.l.k at gmx.com
Tue Mar 25 13:39:43 EDT 2014

On 25.03.14 at 18:18, arnaud gaboury wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I decided to get rid of my mate DE and go i3. Before I am testing my
> settings on tty2 (Ctrl+Alt+F2) with a modify .xinitrc (exec i3).
>
> I have a weird behavior as regarding my web browser, could it be
> chromium or firefox.
>
> On my i3 config. I have this line:
>
> assign [instance="^chromium$"] → 1
>
> Unfortunately, when I log in on tty2, there is no chromium being
> started. When I am back on tty1 (mate session), I find chromium being
> opened.
> Then, on tty2, if I start manually firefox, I can't as I am told
> "firefox is already running". Indeed it is but on tty1.
>
> It seems like web browsers are "attached" to my tty1.
>
> Is there any reason for this behavior? Shall I modify anything to
> start any web browser on tty2 ?
>
> Thank you for help.

AFAIK, systemd does not (yet) support multi-session correctly - but this is
mostly irrelevant, unless you want to use dbus.

Anyway, I don't think this is supported at all - what would be the expected
behaviour when you run the same browser profile on both tty1 and tty2 ?
What would happen when file conflict arises (same profile means both instances
use the same directory for data)?

--
jlk