[arch-general] GNOME Software: Status and integrable?

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Tue Mar 25 20:43:57 EDT 2014

On 03/26/2014 01:26 AM, Karol Babioch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> now that GNOME 3.12 has been released and probably will hit the repos in
> the next couple of days/weeks, I'm wondering what the current status of
> "Software" is [1]? This is an application similar to an app store in the
> mobile world.
>
> I couldn't find it in the repos, and I wouldn't expect it to even work
> without some patching, because obviously it would have to be integrated
> into the packet management system. The only reference I could find in
> regards to Arch Linux was a forum thread from last year [2], which
> basically ended up in a mess without any real answers.
>
> On the other hand I may have missed it, because GNOME is really good in
> using generic terms like "Software" and "Web" to name their
> applications, which are not great to search for :'(.
>
> I'm not interested in another flame war about GNOME, when it hits the
> repos and things like that. I just want to know whether this particular
> application is available/works and if not what the technical hurdles
> would be to make it work and whether it is feasible to get it working in
> the near term. Arguably users of Arch Linux are expected to know how to
> use use the command line (including pacman) and I'm fine with that, but
> I wouldn't mind to be able to browse an app store, just for the fun of
> it ;).
>
> Best regards,
> Karol Babioch
>
> [1]: https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Software
> [2]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=170223

Not that I am much aware of the state of this, but from what I've seen,
the package requires packagekit. Archlinux packagekit package is fairly
old and I doubt that it can be used by gnome-software. There was a
thread on one of archlinux mailing lists regarding packagekit not so
long ago, but even after that thread, packagekit still remained at
version 0.7 which was released 2 years ago, while 0.8 (maybe even 0.9)
is the latest available version.

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.