[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Trimming down our default kernel configuration

Mario Rugiero mrugiero at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 10:08:39 EDT 2014

I'll answer random things I read in the thread. First, I don't think the
"lightweight" part of the philosophy is about using stock packages, as
that's implied in the KISS philosophy, you don't need to stress it any more
than that. The same KISS philosophy says one should try to avoid complexity
whenever possible. Lastly, any decision taken will hurt someone. You keep
the features? Then the ones who want the lighter, simpler kernel will
suffer from a less tested build. You drop them? Servers (and any other
user, whatever reason) will suffer from the same. However, the code paths
they use exclusively are really not tested more by being in the main repos.
Why? Because the ones using it, use it through AUR packages. If the feature
is unusable without AUR packages, then they effectively get testing only
from the ones who install AUR packages. Sure, they have some extra
guarantee that drivers are not broken (except if they behave differently
under AppArmor, SELinux, etc, do they?), but they don't have any testing on
the actual features that are being included only because they use them.
Needless to say, I'm all in favor of using minimal builds by default.