[arch-general] Installing Archlinux alongside Ubuntu on a Windows 8 UEFI laptop

Alan E. Davis lngndvs at gmail.com
Thu May 1 18:02:59 EDT 2014

This looks interesting, and I am tempted to walk into the deep water.  It
raises some questions.

Will gummiboot or refind also find the Ubuntu partition?

The original partition structure of the machine there were four or five
partitions, and another one popped up in the higher end of the disk.   I
stumbled into the install, with the Ubuntu installer, and ended up with
four linux partitions in addition to the Windoze partitions.  At some point
I used gparted to resize, and this might have been the step that botched
the structure.  But in any event, I have three Linux partitions of 50G
each, and a swap partition.  Ubuntu is sitting in one of those partitions.

I have no idea what is an EFI partition.  I have seen instructions,
presumably for those who are wiping the Windows and starting from scratch,
to make an EFI partition.

I finally realized why there are so many partitions, and learned to use
gdisk when walking through the Archlinux install.

Here is a some information from the gdisk listing:

   Nbr   Size         Code   Name
  -----+------------+------+-------------------------
     1   1000.0 MiB   2700
     2   260.0 MiB    EF00     EFI system partition
     3   128.0 MiB    0C01    Microsoft reserved part
     4   49.6 GiB     0700      Basic data partition
     5   9.7 GiB      2700        Lenovo (?recovery?)
     6   10.0 GiB     8200       Linux SWAP
     7   49.4 GiB     8300       Archlinux /
     8   58.8 GiB     8300       /home
     9   1024.0 KiB   EF02     "bios_grub" (Ubuntu?)
    10   59.8 GiB     8300       UBUNTU /

Alan