[arch-general] Installing Archlinux alongside Ubuntu on a Windows 8 UEFI laptop

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Thu May 1 18:35:18 EDT 2014

On 01/05/14 06:28 PM, Alan E. Davis wrote:
> After already chrooting, during the Arch installation process, I saw some
> information that suggested to use a command, as follows:
>
> mount -t efivarfs efivarfs     /sys/firmware/efi/efivars

You don't need to do this, so I'm not sure where you're getting this
information. Adding an EFI entry is optional since it already installs
itself as the fallback loader too. You can install an EFI loader without
being booted via EFI.

> It was ineffective, so after noticing a note that it should be done inside
> and outside of the chroot environment, I tried it outside too.  No error
> issued, however, nothing interesting happened.  That's when I backed out.
>
> I can walk back through  it to that point.

You don't need to do this. Just do exactly what I said (install
gummiboot, tell gummiboot to install itself as the loader) and it will
work fine...

> This is so massively complicated.  It must have been the intention of the
> originators of this system, to complicate the lives of the innocents.  It
> makes me even more angry than I have been for the last 25 years.
>
> To make it more complicated, there is no single such structure, but various
> shades and variations.

It's certainly a lot simpler than using grub... you don't seem to want
it to work so obviously it's not going to work, since you're going out
of your way to ignore the instructions.