[arch-general] Installing Archlinux alongside Ubuntu on a Windows 8 UEFI laptop

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Thu May 1 18:47:22 EDT 2014

On 01/05/14 06:41 PM, Delcypher wrote:
> On 1 May 2014 23:35, Daniel Micay <danielmicay at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/05/14 06:28 PM, Alan E. Davis wrote:
>>> After already chrooting, during the Arch installation process, I saw some
>>> information that suggested to use a command, as follows:
>>>
>>> mount -t efivarfs efivarfs     /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
>>
>> You don't need to do this, so I'm not sure where you're getting this
>> information. Adding an EFI entry is optional since it already installs
>> itself as the fallback loader too. You can install an EFI loader without
>> being booted via EFI.
>
> It's at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI#Mount_efivarfs

Nothing there says it's necessary to install gummiboot. You can install
gummiboot with pacman -S gummiboot && gummiboot install without being in
EFI mode at all. You *do not* need the efivars partition mounted, since
it will install itself as the fallback loader. It will take care of
installing itself as an entry automatically too if it's mounted, but you
can let it do that later or just not do it at all.