[arch-general] Installing Archlinux alongside Ubuntu on a Windows 8 UEFI laptop

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Thu May 1 19:07:06 EDT 2014

On 01/05/14 06:56 PM, Mark Lee wrote:

> Salutations,
>
> You need to boot into UEFI mode. So when you're loading the Arch Linux
> ISO, make sure you select to boot into UEFI mode (usually an option in
> the boot menu)
>
> Regards,
> Mark

You can do this without being booted into EFI mode, since gummiboot will
install itself as /boot/EFI/Boot/BOOTX64.EFI and then you can set it up
properly after the first boot.

I had to do it this way because my hardware (T530) ran into the EFISTUB
bug on old kernel versions, including the latest Arch ISO. It's
completely fixed now at least on this hardware... no issues with dozens
of 3.14.1/3.14.2 builds or the latest LTS kernel.