[arch-general] Installing Archlinux alongside Ubuntu on a Windows8 UEFI laptop

Mark Lee mark at markelee.com
Thu May 1 20:25:06 EDT 2014

Salutations,

Okay. Try starting ove again. Boot into the arch iso using uefi boot (preferably but not necessary). Then set up your partitions (root, home). For boot, mount the windows EFI system partition as /boot. Then install the system. You won't need to install grub or gummiboot since you can boot the efistub directly. I would create a folder in /boot named "arch". I would then copy the *.img from /boot to /boot/arch and rename the vmlinuz-Linux to vmlinuz-linux.efi. If you booted into uefi mode from the Arch iso, you should be able to run efibootmgr. Run efibootmgr to see what entries you have (you should at least have the windows entry). Then type something like this : efibootmgr -d <efi disk id ( probably /dev/sda) -p <parition # (probably 1> -L "Arch Linux UEFI" -l /arch/vmlinux-Linux.efi -u "root=<location of root> initramfs=/arch/initramfs.img rw quiet" -w. You should be able to reboot if all went well and you will boot into Arch Linux.

Regards,
Mark