[arch-general] nvidia optimus with intel/nouveau and bumblebee + bbswitch

Mihamina Rakotomandimby mihamina.rakotomandimby at rktmb.org
Fri May 2 22:35:05 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I have a Dell Latitude E6430, with the Optimus thing and a dual graphic
card: Intel & Nvidia.

(I did know I got that until now)

I installed bumblebee and bbswitch
I enabled bumblebeed at startup
I installed "intel" and "nouveau" Xorg drivers
I setup nouveau to be early loaded

The BIOS only allow me to check or uncheck "Optimus".
When unchecked => The OS boots with Intel ("intel" driver)
when checked => The OS boots with Nvidia ("nouveau" driver)

To potentially enable the 2 cards, I have to setup "check" that option.

When this option is checked (the system boots on the Nvidia card)
"xrandr" only lists 1 provider: nouveau.

I cleaned /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/* to not mention
any GPU related instructions.

I get stuck on this, because whatever documentation I read, as long as
xrandr lists only 1 provider I cannot try any solution to get 3 screens
when I want to (I use a xrandr GUI to enable what I want).

Note that I dont want to have 3 screens all the time.

Where should I check further in order to get xrandr to list the 2
poviders I need?

Thank you.