[arch-general] Installing Archlinux alongside Ubuntu on aWindows8 UEFI laptop

Alan E. Davis lngndvs at gmail.com
Sat May 3 00:53:33 EDT 2014

I am way past confused about these issues.

I have installed Archlinux on a partition, with a home partition.  I just
cannot boot into it.  I was able to boot into the USB flash drive.  I never
saw any messages about UEFI or legacy.  I had already installed Ubuntu
2014.04, botched the partitioning, but it is possible to boot into it by
way of a kludge that my 12 year old son discovered when he installed Ubuntu
on his Lenovo Idea Pad: by backing out, each windows boot, into a boot menu
that has the Ubuntu setup listed.

The ubuntu setup was installed as if by magical accident.  It just
installed.  I hed checked if it is a UEFI system by running a command in
Windows: it is.

After installing Ubuintu, I disabled secure boot.

I have more interesting things to do than spend a week to try to understand
this convoluted maze of acronyms and permutations of features.

It took me years to get used to GRUB2 having a complicated web of editable
(thought almost unreadable, to me) files and scripts.  This goes waaaay
betong that.

I appreciate the efforts of the people here on the Arch Linux mailing list
to help.  I will certainly ask more questions when I get the nerve to try
again (or grow tired of Ubuntu again).   I need a complicated series of
capabilities, so perhaps the fact that they mostly work ok under Ubuntu is
a blessing, and the Arch experiment will come later.

Alan Davis