[arch-general] Installing Archlinux alongside Ubuntu on aWindows8 UEFI laptop

Alan E. Davis lngndvs at gmail.com
Sat May 3 22:56:25 EDT 2014

This is an interesting suggestion:

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 7:55 AM, Delcypher <delcypher at gmail.com> wrote:

> dy installed Ubuntu successfully you probably
> have a working boot manager from that install. So why not just use
> that to boot into Arch Linux? I think Ubuntu uses GRUB2 so you can
> have Ubuntu regenerate the menu entries and hopefully it would detect
> Arch Linux on its own. If not you'll have to look up how to add the
> menu entries manually.

I tried several times, without any change to the boot menu.  The SDD device
(perhaps a specific part)   and also a "windows boot manager" are items in
a menu when  rebooting with Advanced Startup from Windows.

The steps I used were:

    - Ran grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    - changed the permissions of that file to +w
    - re-ran grub-mkconfig

         Each time I ran this, it saw the Arch partition.  And each time I
booted, this was not found in the grub menu at boot time.  It was shown as
a grub 2.x ...

   I am reluctant to try to reinstall grub2 as I don't know how it was
installed before.  Maybe there is a clue in the partition table.

Alan