[arch-general] [solved] out of memory while allocating z_stream

Stephen E. Baker baker.stephen.e at gmail.com
Sat May 10 11:17:00 EDT 2014

On 2014-05-10 9:24 AM, Stephen E. Baker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As of yesterday I cannot boot, regardless of whether I choose the
> regular or failback kernel from the boot loader.
>
> I haven't been able to find anything on google, so I was hoping
> someone here might know what's going on.
>
> Last time my system was up I installed updates including the latest
> kernel, and I ran e4defrag over the disk.
> The computer is a ThinkPad T60, with a Core 2 Duo and 2GB of Ram. I am
> running the i686 version of Arch Linux.
> My boot loader is syslinux.
>
> In the mean time I'm downloading a new copy of the Arch Install ISO
> (all my existing recovery disks are too old to chroot from), and I
> will try reinstalling the kernel.
>
> Output:
> Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)... ok
> early console in decompress_kernel
>
> Decompressing Linux...
>
> Out of memory while allocating z_stream
>
> -- System halted

Alright, I did a couple things at once because I was tired of rebooting
so I'm not sure which actually fixed it, but it's working now.
I ran the rescue disk in normal mode and did a chroot instead of trying
to boot into my system.
I deleted the linux kernel from /var/cache/pacman, and installed it over
again
I ran syslinux-update_install -u -m