[arch-general] systemd-run --user does not work

Ismael Bouya ismael.bouya at normalesup.org
Tue May 13 17:57:36 EDT 2014

Hi,

I don't know if it's necessary to send the request upstream for the moment:
They are busy moving things to kdbus (which is the kernel implementation of
dbus, and not "KDE-dbus" as I thought initially).

Things are actually slightly messed up currently (that's my opinion, when I
spent time reading the systemd code to write my tutorial). The best thing
to be sure that everything works is to make sure that all of your processes
have the information about DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS, and the same
information (and that dbus --session is started also, of course). Some
processes spawn a dbus when they cannot find one, which makes things harder
to debug (because they won't complain but it won't work as expected as they
will have their own bus and noone can talk to them. And you end with two
dbus processes just for you)

About the difference between systemd-run and systemctl: I didn't have a
close look at the systemd-run code, but they seem to have a different way
of implementing dbus connections (which might come from the comment above,
or simply legacy code). And I also ran into trouble with systemctl when I
didn't have the DBUS part (I cannot remember which kind of problems, but
that's where I started to dive into details of systemd implementation)

So to sum up: if you have it everywhere it works; so why not put it and
forget about it (it's not so hard to ensure actually).

--
Ismael