[arch-general] static libraries in packages

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Wed May 14 07:51:37 EDT 2014

Antonio Rojas <nqn1976list at gmail.com> on Wed, 2014/05/14 11:51:
> Christian Hesse wrote:
>
> > I think gcc, glibc, llvm and friends are ok. But zlib, mupdf,
> > mysql/mariadb and some others should go away.
>
>  There was a to-do list to cleanup all static libs, so all remaining ones
> are there for a reason. Check the changelogs for the specific reasons for
> each package, e.g.
>
> https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/zlib&id=83d05088a1cb1b56561b9ebe365d18d033752c72

Is it possible to fix binutils testsuite?

Remember the security flaws in zlib? Does anybody know what package has been
built against static zlib?

> https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/mupdf&id=c34f53eeb8efd6b4b033c2fdc58d0a329efdeeef

This brings the static libraries back, but there is no reason.

libmariadbclient ships with static libraries because a package from AUR
(neko) requires it. I think anybody should fix neko, but shipping official
packages with static libraries in this situation is just stupid.

Removing static libraries (and keeping them away!) should be treated more
strict.
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Chris           get my mail address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)