[arch-general] virtualize a w8 ntfs partition and run w8 inside Arch

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu May 15 14:19:45 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 06:38:59PM +0200, arnaud gaboury wrote:

> > Isn't Windows going to complain about the hardware changing when you
> > alternate between the virtual machine and the real PC?
> >
> > --
> > damjan
>
> I think it will be a serious issue. you are right. Hardware
> registration can be a barrier to this setup.

I have run setups like that for extended periods of time without a
single complaint.  The first time I've run into issues is actually now
at work, I suspect it's the OEM license key that is causing the
troubles.

In any case there is no harm in trying.  You'll only get the
non-genuine crap popping up in the VM, when booting into it directly
there'll be no complaints at all.  So try it, if you get away with it,
great.  If not, just dual boot instead.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

What gets measured, gets done.