[arch-general] virtualize a w8 ntfs partition and run w8 inside Arch

Sergey Manucharian sm at ara-ler.com
Wed May 21 00:06:50 EDT 2014

Excerpts from arnaud gaboury's message from Thu 15-May-14 20:56:
> I am ready for the "dirty" virtualization.

Just want to share my experience with intalling MS Windows 8 (64 bit) in
Virtualbox. The DVD installer crashes at very beginning. The solution is
a trick of manual "fine tuning" the VM described at [0].

It mentions Windows Server 2012, but was the only thing helped me with
Windows 8.

Technically it enables the CPU instruction CMPXCHG16B [1].

Cheers,
Sergey

[0] http://4sysops.com/forums/topic/windows-server-2012-r2-on-virtual-box-error-0x000000c4/
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64#Older_implementations