[arch-general] [Proposal] add python 3 support for gvim in [extra]

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Wed May 21 14:35:02 EDT 2014

Hey all,

I would like to add progress to the bug "FS#34397 - [gvim] has
--disable-python3interp" [0].

I feel like it's about time to start looking into supporting python 3 in
gvim. After some research, it looks like it would be problematic to support
both python versions compiled into the same vim version. That said, python2
seems to still be the primary target of most vim plugins. Though a lot of
these plugins also support python 3 at the same time.

Currently there is no obvious "right" answer to which python version we
should support since python2 obviously has the most support, but on the
other hand, we should support the latest version of python since that is
where the future lies.

This proposal is to keep the existing vim/gvim packages in [extra], but add
a 3rd split version called gvim-python3 or just gvim-python which would
provide the exact same features as gvim except with python 3 support
instead of python 2.

This would allow the community to start experimenting with python 3 support
and start reporting any issues to upstream vim plugins. While allowing
users that don't really want to live on the edge to still use gvim as they
previously had been using it.

Eventually I would like to replace gvim with the python 3 version and
provide a gvim-python2 version so that the default becomes python 3 but we
would still provide a python 2 version for people that still need it. After
some more time, I would like to eventually drop gvim-python2 to the aur and
only support the python 3 version. I still don't know when these switches
will happen, but for now, I would like to take the first step.

It also seems that there is a python 3 version of gvim available in the aur
[1]. Hopefully this would allow more people to experiment with python 3
support by removing the need to compile it and have it in supported repos.

What do yall think?

[0] - https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/34397
[1] - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gvim-python/