[arch-general] Where's my locale gone?

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 16:07:31 UTC 2014

On 3 November 2014 15:44, Mauro Santos <registo.mailling at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03-11-2014 15:26, Paul Gideon Dann wrote:
> > So that explains why my locale wasn't being set correctly. However, it
> > doesn't explain why I'm seeing broken rendering of special characters in
> > the terminal (mainly lines and other terminal graphics). This looks like
> it
> > might not be directly related?
> >
> > Paul
> >

> If it is terminal emulator under X I would check the font configuration,
> if you mean VT then /etc/vconsole.conf is the place to look at.
>
> On the other hand, I would check what was updated around the time things
> started looking weird, maybe you caught a bug, or font handling changed.
>
> I would also check other terminal emulators, preferably with different
> dependencies to try a rule out any bug in the dependencies.
>
> --
> Mauro Santos

I'd forgotten about this, although I mentioned it a few posts back:

# locale
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=en-GB.utf8
LC_CTYPE="en-GB.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en-GB.utf8"
LC_TIME="en-GB.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="en-GB.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="en-GB.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en-GB.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en-GB.utf8"
LC_NAME="en-GB.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en-GB.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en-GB.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en-GB.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en-GB.utf8"
LC_ALL=

Looks like there are still locale issues...

Paul