[arch-general] Preferred CHOST

Andreas Radke andyrtr at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 4 18:21:24 UTC 2014

Am Tue, 4 Nov 2014 07:29:25 +0100
schrieb Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com>:

> Hi :)
>
> why is the wanted default CHOST ARCHITECTURE-unknown-linux-gnu instead
> of ARCHITECTURE-arch-linux-gnu?
>
> $ grep CHOST /etc/makepkg.conf
> CHOST="x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu"
>
> I wasn't aware of this, until I started testing Claws [1], [2].
>
> Other distros usually prefer self-promotion.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
>
> [1]
> http://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2014-November/011307.html
>
> [2]
> The following task is now closed:
>
> FS#42659 - [claws-mail] X-Mailer feature request
>
> Reason for closing: Not a bug
> Additional comments about closing: check the wanted Arch Linux default
> CHOST in /etc/makepkg.conf ;)

Afaik this is for historical reason. I can only speak about the x86_64
port that I've been working from the very early days.

Arch64 was made following CLFS and they recommended this variable
naming:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/clfs/view/svn/x86_64-64/cross-tools/variables.html

I'm not sure about the reason for our 32bit mother distribution.

The variable is pretty much of no interest at runtime. But I remember
some packages that strictly needed this generic CHOST variable to be
able to compile out of the box. Any customized naming made them fail to
pass configure.

-Andy