[arch-general] no cups web/server with new version?

Kyle Terrien kyleterrien at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 02:26:22 UTC 2014

On 11/04/2014 06:06 PM, Javier Vasquez wrote:
> I stopped and removed the old service, reloaded daemons, started and
> enabled new services (org.cups.cupsd.service and
> cups-browsed.service).
>
> However it seems I don't have the server working, since I can't get to
> localhost:631, and:
>
> % dmesg | 'grep' cups
> [   10.006918] systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit
> cups.socket, ignoring: Unit cups.socket failed to load: No such file
> or directory.
> [   10.006965] systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit
> cups.path, ignoring: Unit cups.path failed to load: No such file or
> directory.
> [ 1652.605967] systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit
> cups.socket, ignoring: Unit cups.socket failed to load: No such file
> or directory.

cups.socket and cups.path are the old names (used before the upgrade).

Disable everything cups related by removing the symlinks.  A find
command should help you weed out stuff from before the upgrade:

find /etc/systemd/system/ -iname "*cups*"

Then, try reenabling and starting cups again.  (Three symlinks should be
created.)

systemctl enable org.cups.cupsd.service
systemctl start org.cups.cupsd.service

Here is my current (working) configuration:

$ find /etc/systemd/system/ -iname "*cups*"
/etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/org.cups.cupsd.socket
/etc/systemd/system/printer.target.wants/org.cups.cupsd.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/org.cups.cupsd.path

The note about the renamed service files is on the wiki [1].

--Kyle Terrien

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cups#CUPS_daemon