[arch-general] Preferred CHOST

Martti Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 12:03:14 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Martti,
>
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2014 07:56:25 +0100
> Martti Kühne <mysatyre at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 11:32 PM, Ralf Mardorf
>> <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > OK, so it perhaps should be the default for CHOST, but for packages
>> > such as Claws mail --build=$(uname -m)-arch-linux-gnu should be ok,
>> > while CHOST still could be as it is.
>> >

>> Wait, you'd prefer an untrue, nongeneric and revealing value passed in
>> your mail headers to the generic and truthful representation of your
>> system?
>
> could you explain what's untrue with it? Other distros do that too.

Well your software isn't built with the CHOST you want claws to
recite. So technically it would be lying.

>> Go ahead and build the package that way and want to have mail headers
>> that uniquely reveal your choice linux distribution?
>> Did you think this through? I mean, yeah, Arch has its benefits, but
>> I'm not sure security is of no concern at all for it.
>
> What is insecure when doing it?

You cannot tell or know. But your way an attacker (they usually know
more than you or I) has the advantage of knowing exactly which of the
distros he is targeting.

cheers!
mar77i