[arch-general] Independent displays

Mark Lee mark at markelee.com
Thu Nov 6 16:19:50 UTC 2014

On 11/06/2014 10:53 AM, Ade Devereux wrote:
> Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2014 at 2:57 PM From: "Mark Lee"
> <mark at markelee.com> To: "General Discussion about Arch Linux"
> <arch-general at archlinux.org> Subject: Re: [arch-general]
> Independent displays On 11/06/2014 09:08 AM, Ade Devereux wrote:
>> Hello list,
>
>> I am wondering if any one can be help me in my quest; I am trying
>> to get the display of a VM out on to my HDMI port on my latptop,
>> possibly with audio. Whilst keeping my host on the main laptop
>> display.
>
>> In the VM I have setup X11RDP and I can connect to it with
>> FreeRDP.
>
>> Somehow I need something like FreeRDP to output the display to my
>> external monitor.
>
>> I hope I am clear in that I am trying to achieve!?
>
>> MultiSeat is close but not quite what I am looking for..
>

> Which window manager are you using? If you extend your desktop onto
> the external monitor, you should able to just drag the terminal to
> the extended desktop and run freerdp in fullscreen. Alternatively,
> you can use i3 to assign a workspace on an external monitor and run
> freerdp in that workspace.
>
> Regards, Mark
>
> I swap between XFCE and KDE4
>
> I was hoping of another way really; could say for example LightDM
> with some sort of auto login create a freerdp session? eventually I
> would like to migrate this to a "headless" server that only has ssh
> access, with only the VMs using all the outputs, for example VGA,
> DVI, HDMI1 and HDMI2.

Salutations,

How does one interact with the vms? If all input is done over the
network; it's possible to launch a "server" user with i3. Simply
autlogin to X with i3 and set each external monitor as a different
workspace; launch freerdp separately on each workspace.

Autlogin to TTY:
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Automatic_login_to_virtual_console>
Autlogin to X: <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_Login>
Configure i3 per monitor workspace:
<http://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#_configuring_your_monitors>
Configure autolaunch in i3:
<http://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#_automatically_putting_clients_on_specific_workspaces>

If you have any additional questions about this configuration
(details), you can contact me privately at my email.

Regards,
Mark