[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] GSoC 2015

Darshit Shah darnirmlist at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 13:24:40 UTC 2014

On 11/06, Allan McRae wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Is there interest in Arch participating in GSoC for 2015?

I would like to see Arch (+ pacman) participate in GSoC 2015

>To get a GSOC proposal together Arch would need 2 or more admins, some
>mentors, and a list of projects.
>
>See http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/projects/list/google/gsoc2014 for
>the variety of projects accepted in 2014.
>
>Some descriptions that caught my eye:
>
>"Short description: The objective of this proposal is to improve the
>quality of the packages present in Debian, by identifying possible
>improvements using debci."
>
>"Short description: Package elementary's Pantheon shell, GUI framework
>(Granite), applications, icon theme, and gtk theme."
>
>"Short description: Rebuild the Debian archive with the clang compiler."
>

>So there are a range of tasks that would be useful to Arch that could be
>accepted.  For example, I have wanted a continuous build to check for
>packages that no longer build due to updates.   There are also ideas
>over at
>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:TheBigIdeaPage and I
>guess pacman development would be useful.

When it comes to ideas, I think pacman is still looking to complete support for
hooks. I'm also always in favor of increasing the adoption of Delta packages.
Maybe there's some work there which could be turned into a project?

>Some of the folks over at Arch Women have offered to help us get this
>off the ground.
>
>Is any one interested in helping get this going or being mentors for a
>project?

Over the last two years I've been participated in GSoC under the GNU Project,
first as a student and later as a mentor. I'm no Arch Developer or TU but would
be happy to volunteer and help out as need be.

--
Thanking You,
Darshit Shah