[arch-general] mce after linux-3.11.5-1 on NP900X3C

Rasmus Liland jensrasmus at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 23:19:10 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-15 18:28, Mark Lee wrote:
>On 11/15/2014 12:20 PM, Rasmus Liland wrote:
>>> From rasmus first post:
>>> New intel microcode was only introduced with kernel 3.17 ... It's
>>> unlikely to have to do with this issue.
>>>
>>> install mcelog, run it as the log tells you and post the result.
>> [ ... output, see previous messages ... ]
>> I never did use the mcelog tool before, but to me it looks like not
>> much of an analysis, perhaps I'm doing it wrong.
>Looks like a microcode error, please try to add the intel-ucode to
>your kernel cmdline.
Bah, just as I was finished enabling syslinux using syslinux-install_update
and rebooted, the system did not respond, just a blank screen and lighting
shutting off, then rebooting again.

Thus, this system needs an overhaul -- apparently some difficulty with the
bootcode or the MBR, though I am able to mount the old partitions and chroot
into them using arch-chroot.

I tried installing grub using the standard method grub-install according to
the wiki, with little success -- some good news at least relevant to previous
topic in this thread is that grub recognized and added the intel-ucode file I
had copied to the /boot directory, when running grub-mkconfig.

The plan forward is to forget about generating new mbr using gpart and
install Debian at the end of the disk to, hopefully, restore some boot
related stuff that might have come crashing down after meddling with
syslinux.

I was able to jot down this at my remote terminal.
Rasmus Liland, jrl at jrl.dyndns.dk