[arch-general] New version of "top"?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Wed Nov 19 13:39:57 UTC 2014

On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 13:54:42 +0100
Michael Alt <micha.developing at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Vladimir Nikšić <vniksic at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I noticed that after a last "$pacman -Syu" that I got a pretty
> > different version of the utility top in the package procps-ng. What
> > exactly happened, how can I get the old-style one back?
>
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1474872#p1474872

Thank you Micha,

too funny, I didn't noticed it myself, I seemingly didn't run top since
$ grep procps-ng /var/log/pacman.log
[snip]
[2014-11-14 09:06] [PACMAN] upgraded procps-ng (3.3.9-3 -> 3.3.10-1)

For my needs, on my dual-core machine, I first thought I'll stay with
the new design, excepted of the grotesque colour theme, so I followed
this advice: "fwiw, just disabling colors with "z" and writing config
with "W" seems enough to stop the eye cancer for me."

What ever kind of colour theme is chosen, after following this advice
the theme is monochrome again, black on white or white on black etc..

Then I noticed that the resourced hungriest process wasn't listet when
I run top, but a bunch of irrelevant systemd process were shown, so I
installed procps-ng-classic, but this alone didn't bring back the old
useful top, I needed to remove ~/.toprc too and now the resource
hungriest process is shown again.

What exactly is the new style good for, if it can happen, that the
resource hungriest process isn't listed, while absolutely irrelevant
processes are listed?

IMO Arch Linux shouldn't follow upstream, if upstream decide to do
something that idiotic for a much used command line tool.

2 Cents,
Ralf