[arch-general] PS: Virtualbox downgrade - Was: FS#41424 - Virtualbox 4.3.14, USB doesn't work flawlessly

Bigby James bigby.james at crepcran.com
Sat Nov 22 17:54:04 UTC 2014

On 11/22, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Still odd that we still have a broken virtualbox package in the
> repositories. When there's no interest to stay with a stable version,
> then perhaps virtualbox should be dropped from the repositories and
> become an AUR package. Following upstream when the software is broken
> IMO doesn't make sense. Sure, current version of virtualbox USB works
> for mouse and to transfer small amounts of data by USB, but it is
> completely useless to transmit huge amounts of data.

How much data are you trying to transmit? Based on your messages, I'm guessing
you have an iPod Touch or iPhone and you're using VB to manage a music library.
Calling VirtualBox broken because its USB implementation doesn't play well with
Apple's DRM model is unfair, and your single experience doesn't amount to an
objectively broken package. In any case, Arch follows upstream. Occasionally
users experience setbacks. That's just the nature of the game.

http://wiki.archlinux.og/index.php/Virtualbox

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams