[arch-general] systemd-journal groups?

Rodrigo Rivas rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 11:35:40 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
> I have a feeling this should be documented somewhere, but I can't seem
> to find anything about it.
>
> When catching up with the latest package updates just now I noticed I
> had a passwd.pacnew file in /etc.  When merging in the changes I found
> I have two systemd user entries that don't appear in the upstream
> file:
>
>   systemd-journal-remote:x:997:997:systemd Journal Remote:/:/usr/bin/nologin
>   systemd-journal-upload:x:996:996:systemd Journal Upload:/:/usr/bin/nologin
>
> Are they safe to remove?

I don't find any mention to these users in the documentation [1][2]
but... -I'm guessing here- these users seem to be used only for the
services of the same name. See
/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-journal-{remote,upload}.service.

So if you are not planning to use these services, you should not need
these users.

BTW, there is also a systemd-journal-gateway, with the same pattern.

HTH.

[1]: http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-journal-upload.html
[2]: http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-journal-remote.html