[arch-general] systemd timers: switch default target to timers.target?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed Oct 8 17:52:17 UTC 2014

Am 08.10.2014 um 02:51 schrieb Sébastien Luttringer:
> On 06/10/2014 23:45, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>> Am 04.10.2014 um 13:44 schrieb Neitsab:
>> Why?
>>
>> Most of these timers should only be available when running a fully
>> booted system. timers.target is pulled in by basic.target. This implies
>> that startup of all normal services is delayed until the startup of
>> these timers (and other units) has finished. This may make sense for
>> socket or path units, but is entirely unnecessary for timer units,
>> especially those that merely serve as cron replacements.
>>

> Upstream recommends to stick to timers.target. If units should be
> delayed after others After= and Before= directives do the job. There is
> also OnBootSec= if you want to delay timers on a timed way.

I don't care what upstream recommends, there is no reason for this
target to exist and there is no reason to use it. Things get even worse,
since you cannot order the unit After=something - since timers.target
pulls the unit, it gets an implicit ordering Before=timers.target,
removing lots of flexibility with regards to ordering (since
timers.target is before sysinit.target).