[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Changes to microcode updates

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 20:16:31 UTC 2014

On 12-10-2014 18:27, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 12.10.2014 um 16:52 schrieb Christian Hesse:
>> Successfully tested with grub (1:2.02.beta2-4). You need something like this
>> in grub.cfg:
>>
>>         echo    'Loading Intel ucode update and initial ramdisk ...'
>>         initrd  /intel-ucode.img /initramfs-linux.img
>>
>> I edited grub.cfg manually, though. Will the grub package be updated to
>> handle this in /etc/grub.d/10_linux?
>>

> No idea how this should be handled in grub, since I don't use it.

I'm replying here as (obviously) I don't have posting rights at arch-dev :)

From what I've been able to understand [1-3], for grub (legacy and
grub2) it should work by using multiple initrd lines or like this:

initrd /path/to/ucode/update /path/to/arch/initrd

I haven't tested it though, so it might be broken and I have no idea of
how to integrate it with the automagical grub.cfg configuration
(grub-mkconfig).

[1]
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/39307/slitaz-4-0-grub2-loopback-concatenate-multiple-initrd-images
[2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grub/2012-01/msg00002.html