[arch-general] Netflix in Arch?

Sebastiaan Lokhorst sebastiaanlokhorst at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 06:28:46 UTC 2014

> There would be little point in getting it to work with Chromium anyway. Why
> would you care if you're using an open source browser if you're gonna add a
> propietary DRM plugin onto it?
> Just pick Chrome and avoid the hastle. That is, after all, what Chrome is:
> Chromium + propietary addons (+ some rebranding).

A proprietary plugin can be sandboxed, to be sure it doesn't do anything
it's not supposed to do. That's at least the idea that the Firefox people
want to implement.

Besides that, just using Chrome is indeed the easiest solution right now.
The only problem is that it is not in the official Arch repositories,
leading to more hassle.

Would it be possible to move it there from the AUR? We have lots of
closed-source software in the official repositories, and I think Chrome
(with EME and Flash Player built in!) would be very useful for people. We
already have the old NPAPI Flash Player, so I don't see why this would be a
problem.

Sebastiaan