[arch-general] Kernel code dump retrieval

Leonidas Spyropoulos artafinde at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 16:11:34 UTC 2014

On 16/10/14, Anatol Pomozov wrote:
> When you say "produce a core dumps" what exactly you see. How do you
> know it produces the kernel dump?

I usually build the AUR package from within X. But sometimes I do it on
another TTY. On these cases where I do it from TTY I was able to see
partly a core dump (messages about kernel panic and then some more
output). The problem was that it was part of it and I could not scroll
to see the whole message.

> After the crash happens kernel cannot write anything to disk nor send
> via network. Dealing with disk/network/... requires valid kernel data
> structures and you don't have them anymore.
>
> Once kernel crashed it has only one option - reboot.
>
> Check kdump https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kdump - it is
> probably what you are looking for.

But that invoves a kernel compilation (right?) and I seem to end up in the same
problem as before - kernel crashing when compiling big projects.

Is there a kernel with Kdump enabled already?