[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Changes to microcode updates

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 19:58:08 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 4:55 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>
wrote:

> A 2 minute Google search indicates that refind merely appends the initrd
> as a kernel command line option (initrd=) - refind, like gummiboot, is
> merely an EFI bootmanager and not a bootloader and thus relies on the
> kernel's EFIstub feature. Therefore, refind does not load the initrd
> itself, but delegates that task to the kernel.

I am confused about this now. In my previous post I quoted that using
refind boots with the dual initrd files in the refind_linux.conf file, and
leads to lines in the journal log like:

Oct 23 15:41:56 localhost kernel: CPU0 microcode updated early to revision
0x1b, date = 2014-05-29

Does this mean that the quoted early update has used the wrong file from an
earlier date than current, or does this journal log line confirm correct
early loading of the up-to-date microcode? Or does delegating the task to
the kernel  when efistub loading produce a correctly working processor with
the intended new microcode at the early stage of booting the kernel?

Thanks

--
mike c