[arch-general] NV GeForce 7600, nvidia-304xx-lts, but Failed to load module "nvidia"

Csányi Pál csanyipal at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 12:16:02 UTC 2014

>> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 20:30:55 +0200
>> Csányi Pál <csanyipal at gmail.com> wrote:

>> It tells you the kernel module is not loaded, so start there. modprobe
>> it and see what happens. BTW, the sed line in that script is pretty bad.

I did several mistakes here.

I had installed two versions of kernels:
linux and
linux-lts

I thought that that I must for nvidia to work to install
nvidia-304xx-lts because I didn't notice that that I actually uses the
linux kernel and not the linux-lts kernel.

So, after I noticed my mistake, I uninstalled first linux-lts, then
modifiy the script, like so:

[code]
#!/bin/bash
# nouveau -> nvidia
# run as root

set -e

# check if root
if [[ $EUID -ne 0 ]]; then
   echo "You must be root to run this script. Aborting...";
   exit 1;
fi

if [ -e /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-nouveau.conf ]
    then rm -v /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-nouveau.conf
fi

cp /Adatok/ArchLinuxBeallitasok/30-nvidia.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

sed 's/MODULES="nouveau"/MODULES="nvidia"/i' /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

echo "Now is the 'MODULES="nvidia"' in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf"

pacman -Rdds --noconfirm xf86-video-nouveau mesa-libgl lib32-mesa-dri
lib32-mesa-libgl
pacman -S --noconfirm nvidia-304xx lib32-nvidia-304xx-libgl

mkinitcpio -p linux

reboot
[/code]

When I did run this script as root, I get finally X Window system with
nvidia driver.

I just don't like that that the console fonts is too big when I get
after (re)boot the console login prompt ( not X Window system ).

I thought that that if I put the line
MODULES="nvidia
in the /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

then I should get smaller console fonts.

--
Regards from Pal