[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Changes to microcode updates

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Mon Oct 27 09:55:23 UTC 2014

Damjan Georgievski <gdamjan at gmail.com> on Thu, 2014/10/23 19:40:
> On 12 October 2014 14:28, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > Intel released a new microcode update that disables an instruction on
> > Haswell CPUs. However, Linux doesn't handle this very well and in
> > combination with our glibc version, this essentially crashes your system.
> >
> > The solution is to use the "new" early microcode update mechanism that
> > was introduced almost two years ago ([1]). This means we need to build
> > microcode support into the kernel.

Works perfectly here: Just concatenating the ucode and default initramfs into
one file, then boot that with grub.

Details can be found here:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/42354#comment129209

May be worth it to change mkinitcpio to combine the two files...

> from that documentation I didn't understand why can't the microcode be
> part of the standard /boot/initramfs-linux.img in ArchLinux?

Just tested, that does not work.
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Chris           get my mail address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)