[arch-general] Laptop overheating causes decreased CPU performance until reboot (even after cooling)

Anish Shankar rndanish at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 15:49:40 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 1:02 AM, Sean Greenslade <sean at seangreenslade.com>
wrote:

> Given that, I would suspect (WAG incoming) that the CPU is scaling back
>  the clock as an emergency measure. 95 degC is WAAAAY to hot for a CPU to
> be. You need to fix that issue first. If the cooling system is not
> behaving sensibly, you may need to do some manual overrides:
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fan_speed_control
>
> --Sean

The root cause of the heating, is bad physical heatflow design in general
(My fans are already on max usually in these cases). I've taken some
measures for cooling though occasionally temperature levels still peak.

I can understand if the CPU scales down as an emergency measure (and is
quite likely the case). My problem is that it doesn't scale back up when
the temperature comes back to normal (~60 degC). Infact I've also suspended
the laptop, left it for an hour to come down to room temperature and on
resuming the scaled down levels persist. Although I'm not able to find a
way to check that it is indeed scaled down, just simply the performance
drops