[arch-general] java: cannot execute - too many levels of symbolic links

lolilolicon lolilolicon at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 06:25:43 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 4:27 PM, Guillaume ALAUX <guillaume at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Guillaume here (packager of that "piece of crap" java-common).

Yes it is pretty crappy.

>> symlinks created by the jre* packages at install time, without any
>> package tracking them.
>
> Yes, that is the point of script archlinux-java [3].

It's crappy mainly because of the whole bunch of symlinks being *untracked*.

> Also, this has been publicly discussed back in May [5]
> where very few people cared to give feedback.

Sorry I don't follow every discussion on the mailing list... I would
never have joined one about java, really; it just so happens this one is
so *wrong*...

To be sure, I do appreciate your effort, Guillaume. No one likes to deal
with this java crap. I don't have strong objections against your general
approach, only this particular packaging practice. Let's improve it.