[arch-general] Check for update in script

Savyasachee Jha savya.jha91 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 11:36:11 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 1:36 AM, Yamakaky <yamakaky at yamaworld.fr> wrote:

 In your use case, you can probably specify an alternative db path
>> using the --dbpath switch in pacman.
>>

> That's what I wanted to do, but dbpath countains the local and upstream
> databases, so I thought it might cause problems.

If I understand it right, and correct me if I do not, you can use pacman
-Syy --dbpath /tmp/pacman-update/, right? That way, if you want to check
the local databases (currently installed and active), you can use pacman
-Si <package-name> and if you want to check the latest ones, you can use
pacman -Si --dbpath /tmp/pacman-update/ <package-name>. I think that this
is the same mechanism as used by the check-updates script. That script just
cleans up a bit more, but fundamentally uses this same switch.

--
Savyasachee Jha

*"Aerodynamics is for people whodon't know how to build engines."*