[arch-general] systemctl reboot

aakempf at gmail.com aakempf at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 14:09:32 EDT 2014

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 01:33:17PM -0300, Mateus Rodrigues Costa wrote:

> > Systemd, of course, *would* ask for a password, if polkit (PolicyKit)
> > weren't there.
>

> Ah, thanks for pointing that. Anyway, is disabling the service enough or
> does he need to uninstall the package completely?
> I see that on my system polkit is a dependency for some packages, so it
> might not be easy/recommended to simply uninstall it.

I don't know why people suggest disabling polkit when polkit itself
allows you to change this stuff to your hearts content. It is
extensively documented in the Wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/polkit#Actions

"...here are a few commonly used groups of actions:

systemd-logind (org.freedesktop.login1.policy) actions regulated by
  polkit include powering off, rebooting, suspending and hibernating
  the system, including when other users may still be logged in..."

"For each of these settings the following options are available:
  auth_self: Authentication is required but the user need not be an
  administrative user.
  auth_admin: Authentication as an administrative user is require.
  auth_self_keep: The same as auth_self but, like sudo, the
  authorization lasts a few minutes.
  auth_admin_keep: The same as auth_admin but, like sudo, the
  authorization lasts a few minutes...."