[arch-general] A good time to switch to dash as /bin/sh?

Martti Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 04:20:44 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 10:14 AM, lolilolicon <lolilolicon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Martti Kühne <mysatyre at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Arch cannot realistically switch away from bash as long as both its
>> package management depends on it for both package creation and package
>> management tasks.
>
> But we can switch away from using bash as /bin/sh.

Uhm, okay. But let me throw this in: Bash is actively developped, the
patch for CVE-2014-{6271,7169} was on my system before I even learned
about these problems. Despite that I'm still not convinced as to why
the issue in question is such a big deal, I must say it's unlikely
we're better off with a less active, less used shell.

cheers!
mar77i