[arch-general] A good time to switch to dash as /bin/sh?

Doug Newgard scimmia at archlinux.info
Fri Sep 26 10:25:07 EDT 2014

On 2014-09-26 09:15, lolilolicon wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 9:50 PM, Doug Newgard <scimmia at archlinux.info>
> wrote:
>>> The problem is on many systems /bin/sh is linked to bash -- which is
>>> why
>>> this bug is so widespread / severe. /bin/sh is "the single biggest
>>> UNIX loophole", so let's make it a bit smaller by switching it to
>>> something minimal, such as dash.
>>

>> Why? Why is that the problem? What attack vector is available because
>> of
>> this? Give me specifics, not theoretical, non-existent examples.
>
> Because the vulnerable systems do not call bash by name, they call
> /bin/sh. And they are vulnerable only because /bin/sh is linked to
> bash.

Wrong, they DO call bash by name. The main issues are with ssh, which
uses the user's specified interactive shell, and with Apache's mod_cgi
and mod_cgid, which do call bash. Again, stop providing non-existent FUD
and give real-world examples of where having /bin/sh linked to something
else would have mitigated this.