[arch-general] A good time to switch to dash as /bin/sh?

Maarten de Vries maarten at de-vri.es
Fri Sep 26 16:24:43 UTC 2014

On 26 September 2014 18:16, Leonid Isaev <lisaev at umail.iu.edu> wrote:

> ---
>
> So, yes ArchLinux core tools use and will continue to use 'bashisms'
> because
> they are convenient. The bugs which started this discussion are not a big
> deal
> anyway. They will only affect scripts that don't properly sanitize the
> input.
> Such scripts have bigger problems to worry about IMHO. The SSH-related
> issue is
> also insignificant because the bug will be triggered post-auth...

​I very much disagree with that statement. Any ssh key with an attached
force-command could be used to execute arbitrary commands.​

​ Then there is dhclient which passes information to scripts in environment
variables, meaning that dhcp servers (for example on a public network​)
could execute commands on vulnerable clients. I would say both are a big
deal and they are just two examples.

But as said by others, the recent bash vulnerability has been fixed and
that was not the point of this discussion anyway.