[arch-general] A good time to switch to dash as /bin/sh?

Benjamin A. Shelton zancarius at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 07:21:14 UTC 2014

On 09/27/2014 01:04 AM, Florian Pelz wrote:
> Regardless of what's the default, could there be a cleaner way to use
> dash as one's /bin/sh without preventing pacman from upgrading bash?

Manually replace /bin/sh as a symlink to /bin/dash and then set the
/etc/pacman.conf values:

NoUpgrade = usr/bin/sh
NoExtract = usr/bin/sh

?

Note: I assumed NoExtract should have been enough since the symlink
usr/bin/sh -> usr/bin/bash exists in the bash package, but NoUpgrade
alone creates the symlink, and NoExtract alone removes the existing
symlink, leaving nothing in its wake. Use at your own risk, because this
WILL break packages expecting /bin/sh to be bash and probably other things.

Benjamin